The chassis has finally arrived today. Our scouting program is coming along well. Progress has been made on the drive train.
All of the field objects were built! All of the metal is cut for the chassis. The electrical component board is finished. A GUI layout and flowchart is in progress for the scouting app. We are working on a shelving project to make more room for parts as well.
Today we focused on putting the robot into Inventor. We got the individual parts like the shooter and climber in CAD, and we will use these to see how the chassis will hold everything together.
Today we focused on prototypes and the chassis layout. The new shooter has been finished and works great! With prototype dimensions we were able to make a rough layout for the chassis. We will use the layout to put the robot in a CAD program. Today we also make a new safety contract that the entire team must understand and sign.
We have broken down basic tasks that need to be done during build season.
Today we continue with prototypes! Electrical plans to make a Prototype Board to make testing prototypes easier. The climber prototype has been started, the shooter has been finished and tested. The shooter doesn’t work too well, so we plan to make a new one. We got paracord to experiment with different rope possibilities.
Today we finished discussing the designs for the robot and we have the final ideas!
Chassis: Chassis B- 30″ x 32″ x 36″
Drive Train: 6″ mecanum wheels
Holding Fuel: Ball hopper on top of the robot that can dump balls in low boiler
Collecting Fuel: Conveyor system lifts balls and feeds hopper
Shooting Fuel: Two flywheels push balls down a pipe that can aim for high and low boiler
Collecting Gears: Stationary bucket will collect and deliver gears
Climbing: Pipe with multiple with hooks will spin until it grabs a loop at the end of the rope
We were able to start and finish the gear bucket prototype and we started up the shooter prototype!
Today we broke off into small groups to talk about how the bot will work with our strategy. Each group talked about a different part of a robot for collecting fuel, shooting fuel, collecting gears, and climbing. We then got into one large group where we discussed how the design works, and opinions on each design.
Today we finished putting the robot in inventor! We now have dimensions for cutting metal for the chassis. We are almost done with making the field for testing the bot. We are making an electrical component board that can be put on the bot. We are also planning on making an app for a phone to make scouting easier. It will replace having to write notes by hand, making the process faster and easier.
We’re back on a long week in off-season, still preparing for Gateway on Saturday. As our build team put on the finishing touches of the drive trains, our electrical team deconstructed various electrical components in order to give the freshmen a better understanding of the structure and function of the components. Our pit team is being instructed about their duties at Gateway. In webpage, we finally got our website up and functioning. Furthermore, we’ve updated our heading bar so that companies looking to sponsor us can quickly see our funding options.
We’re one meeting closer to build season!
Tonight, we’re launching our off-season campaign to renovate our robot for the 2016 First Robotics Challenge. Our electrical team is rewiring the drive motors on last year’s bot and instructing the new freshmen on wiring techniques. The build team is fixing the gearboxes, the motors, and repairing the frontal arm of the robot. The new Freshmen in programming team are successfully learning to code functions in Python. We’re looking forward to an auspicious off-season and, looking forward to next year, a successful build season!