- Electrical, Programming, and Build team all helped scrap previous years robots.
- Electrical Team started cutting mounts for electrical components
- Programming has been working with making a camera work.
- The Programming and Website Team are collaborating to make a web interface for the robots controls.
- Field team has completed all the obstacles.
- Build team worked on the drive train.
- The wheels have been attached to the Chassis, and they are BIG.
- The Chassis Metal has been cut, and the bottom part of it has been welded together.
- The bottom part of the Chassis doesn’t have accurate dimensions due to weld issues, we will have to overcome this challenge.
- The 10.5″ drive wheels arrived, and they are heavier than expected, at around 7 lbs.
- The sockets that came with the wheels are believed to be too heavy, so we had sprockets custom built out of aluminium instead saving ~2 lbs.
- Build team is prototyping a wench to lift the robot.
- We are going to try to do a vertical “U ” shaped shooter, which will fold down to fit under the low bar.
- Programming is trying to get the image system working.
- The Field team finished the portcullis, and is working on other obstacles.
- Electrical is currently looking at various options for where to put electronics in the robot.
Since Francis Howell has cancelled school today with all after school activities, we are unable to meet today. This was to be our make-up day for last night. We will now make this day up next week, Wednesday on 1/27/2016. Our next regularly scheduled is tomorrow, Thursday, assuming that does not turn into a snow day as well.
As of this morning we are meeting tonight for our regular scheduled meeting time 5:30pm to 8:30pm. The forecast is for snow moving in this afternoon and early evening. As a school sponsored activity we must follow the school policy regarding after school activities.
Here are the guidelines:
- If school is released early:
All after school activities are cancelled for the day and evening.
- If school is cancelled for the day (Wednesday):
All after school activities are cancelled for the day and evening.
Our Robotics Club policy is to makeup Tuesday and Thursday cancelled days with a Wednesday meeting. If school is cancelled on Wednesday will makeup the following Wednesday next week.
We always will meet on Saturday barring a blizzard situation warranting unsafe driving conditions. Or directed by school officials to cancel.
Even if the roads are clear by the evening of a closed school day, we cannot meet by school district policy.
So we are hoping to get tonight’s meeting in, but we wanted you to be aware of the policies we will follow for cancelled school. If ever in doubt stay tuned to your email and here at RavenRobotics.org for updates on meeting cancelations and re-shedules.
This week, in week 1, the Build Team came up with a prototype Boulder thrower, which is one of the quickest prototypes our team has ever come up with. The ElectricalTteam came up with a possible electrical layout, based off of Guided Missile Components, slotting the electronic vertically to save room horizontally. Programming started taking apart the 2015 bot for parts and computer to update it for 2016. The Spirit Team came up with an idea for a flag made out of PVC pipe. The Field Team did a lot: including finishing two bases, the portcullis, and the low bar. As a collective team, we decided to have a bot go under the low bar, and we are still deciding how to fit an arm and a shooter into the robot.
If you missed Kickoff today you missed a great game and some great debate. But don’t worry, we’ve got the basics you need for our next meeting on Monday.
We hope everyone had a great Holiday Season and you are ready to begin the 2016 Build Season and Competitions. Here is what you need to know about the FRC Kickoff on Saturday January 9th:
- Everyone is welcome to attend the kickoff. There is overflow seating in the school’s commons area for those that cannot be seated in the auditorium. If you plan on attending wear some type of Raven apparel. (Tshirt, sweatshirt, polo, etc). Wait in the lobby and once a group has arrived we will seat ourselves in the auditorium. If you arrive after we have entered the auditorium, you can enter the auditorium on your own (if capacity permits) or go to the overflow seating area.
- We will meet back at FHC at 1:00pm. Lunch will be own your own between leaving the Kickoff and returning to FHC.
- Transportation to and from the kickoff is on your own.
- Saturday we will dismiss from FHC at 4:00pm. Please have rides ready.
- We will then begin our build schedule as laid out on the Calendar.
- Additionally: If you received product to sell as a fund raiser. Money from the sales is due on Saturday. Please remember to bring it. We want to complete our fundraiser so that we are concentrating only on the building of the robot!
- 2016 T-Shirts will be ordered in early January.
Some final thoughts as we begin the build season…
The build season is short! Before you know it, it will be time to bag the robot. The key to a successful build season is organization and commitment to the task on hand. There will be a sign-in and out computer that you will be required to log in and out when you arrive and leave a build session. Please make sure you do that as you enter and leave. Next to that computer will be cases with name tags and eye glasses. Everyone must wear their name tag and eyeglasses at all times. Pick these up at the beginning of the each session and put them away at the end.
While the build season is meant to be a fun time for all, we must always remember that our primary focus is getting the robot built and tested before our first competition. Card playing and video games not related to the robot will not be allowed. There is always something to do related to our robot and our organization.
The Calendar has been updated with the Build Season meetings. They are as follows for a handy one stop post to see when everything is planned at the moment.
|Date||Start Time||End Time||Hrs|
|1||Saturday January 9||9:00 AM||4:00PM||Kick Off Game Plan||7|
|2||Monday January 11||6:00 PM||8:00PM||Brain Storming Session||2|
|3||Tuesday January 12||5:30 PM||8:30 PM||Build Session||3|
|4||Thursday January 14||5:30 PM||8:30 PM||Build Session||3|
|5||Saturday January 16||8:00 AM||2:00PM||Build Session||6|
|6||Tuesday January 19||5:30 PM||8:30 PM||Build Session||3|
|7||Thursday January 21||5:30 PM||8:30 PM||Build Session||3|
|8||Saturday January 23||8:00 AM||2:00PM||Build Session||6|
|9||Tuesday January 26||5:30 PM||8:30 PM||Build Session||3|
|10||Thursday January 28||5:30 PM||8:30 PM||Build Session||3|
|11||Saturday January 30||8:00 AM||2:00PM||Build Session||6|
|12||Tuesday February 2||5:30 PM||8:30 PM||Build Session||3|
|13||Thursday February 4||5:30 PM||8:30 PM||Build Session||3|
|14||Saturday February 6||8:00 AM||2:00PM||Build Session||6|
|15||Tuesday February 9||5:30 PM||8:30 PM||Build Session||3|
|16||Thursday February 11||5:30 PM||8:30 PM||Build Session||3|
|17||Saturday February 13||8:00 AM||2:00PM||Build Session||6|
|18||Tuesday February 16||5:30 PM||8:30 PM||Build Session||3|
|19||Thursday February 18||5:30 PM||8:30 PM||Build Session||3|
|20||Saturday February 20||8:00 AM||4:00PM||Build Session||8|
|21||Sunday February 21*||1:30PM||6:30 PM||Build Session||5|
|22||Monday February 22*||5:30 PM||???????||Build Session|
|Tuesday February 23||5:30 PM||???????||STOP BUILD BAG ROBOT|
|* if needed|
|March 9-12||Chaifetz Center||Saint Louis Regional|
|April 21-23 ???||St. Louis Championships|
If school is cancelled for any reason on a scheduled work day, the make-up day for that will be theimmediate following WEDNESDAY. If school is released early on a work day due to inclement weather, the work session for that day is CANCELLED. If school is cancelled on Friday due to snow, WE WILL MEET ON SATURDAY unless you get an email from me saying the parking lot is inaccessible, or the weather is just too bad. The school district needs to be able to clear the parking areas so we will need to work around this situation.
Lunch and snacks will be provided on Saturday work sessions.
We will stay on this schedule for the entire month of January. Work times may be extended or added in February depending on the progress of the robotQuestions? Contact Mark Krueger @ 314.306.7147 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Event||MO-St. Louis-Clayton High School Kickoff|
|Event Subtype||Local Kickoff|
08:15 AM – 11:30 PM
|Where||Clayton High School
1 Mark Twain Circle
St. Louis, MO 63105
|Registration Information||The Clayton High School Auditorium has limited seating capacity and it may not be able to hold additional guests brought beyond the 15 team member limit. Additional members/guests are welcome to attend, to accommodate these guest we have reserved Clayton High School?s Commons Area. Those additional team members will be able to view the Kickoff presentation from this area.|
|Event Website||(Not available)|
|For more email@example.com|
Welcome back from Fall Break. We meet just two times before the build season begins in January. There are a few things that need to be taken care of in November.
- Dues must be paid by second meeting in November (Nov 17)
- Dues are $30.00
- Fundraiser decision buyout ($50) or participation must be made by each student by first meeting in November (Nov 3)
- Buyout is $50.00
- Participation requires selling 5 items @ $15.00 each. We are selling insulated travel mugs with our team logo on them. Items will be delivered to students to sell at our second meeting (Nov 17). Students will be required to submit $75.00 from the sale of these items at our first meeting in January.
We need to turn in a roster to the school district in December. In order to be included in the roster, both of the items above need to be completed by the student. Make checks payable to: FHSD. Cash will also be accepted. Payment is to be made to the club treasurer. A receipt will be given to the student. Please keep the receipt for your records of payment. IF YOU PLAN ON BEING A MEMBER OF THIS TEAM YOU NEED TO ATTEND THE NOVEMBER MEETINGS.
We had a good time and it was a good experience for our new team members at the Gateway Classic Competition at Hazelwood Central HS this past weekend. Special thanks to one of our team mentors, Mr. Tom Brandt for all his work in putting this event on!
Hope to see you all on the 3rd!
The Gateway Robotics Challenge is this Saturday at Hazelwood Central High School! This event is for all team members to get a chance to see what a real FRC tournament is like. We recommend students arrive before opening ceremonies at 9:30. Everyone please wear your Raven Robotics T-Shirts at this event, if you do not have one please pick one up at the meeting on Thursday when we pack up the trailer. All information about the event is available at gatewayroboticschallenge.com. Everyone who is going to be at this event, please be at the meeting Thursday from 6-7 to pack up for the event and finalize the pit crew and scout team schedule.
We still have spots open for pit crew and scout team that we need filled. Pit crew will work on the robot in between matches and scout team will scout out our competition on the playing field. The tentative schedule is available here. If you would like to be added to the schedule or cannot fill a slot you are listed for, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. We would like to give as many students as possible the opportunity to work as these events. Please understand that these jobs are not the only thing to do at the event, this is our team’s tournament, be there to cheer our team on to win!